Tuesday, August 14, 2007

School Daze

I love the beginning of school. For me, it ranks right up there with the beginning of the new year. It's a time for a fresh start, a new adventure just waiting to unfold! With much influence from Brian, I even love shopping for new school supplies. There's nothing like the smell of a new box of Crayola crayons! And who cares if we have 25 pair of scissors and 10 rulers in the craft closet...we deserve new ones anyway!

I know that Jess and Anna agree with me...Wes on the other hand...well, he thinks the 1st month is okay...after that he's counting down for fall break!! Jessica starts her adventure as a freshman in high school (gulp, it pains me to say that!) Wes goes to the jr high this year as a 7th grader. Anna is no longer a "little kindergartner"..she's "all that" in 1st grade!

As I write this they are all enjoying their first day back. And I must admit I am enjoying my time at home(no explanation needed, I'm sure)!! I also have started an adventure of my own...babysitting. I babysit for Kent and Angie Santees' daughter, Meredith. She is almost 4 months old and we love her like our own! I couldn't ask for a better baby to be watching. I have a lot of help from Joseph and we're loving it!! Jaye ;)

At 7:00 am I'm not sure if these smiles are real!!

Back to school means the start of getting things rolling at youth group. It seems that when summer hits we lose connection with some of the teens. I'm always glad to know vacations are over, teens will be home, and things will start to get into a rhythm. It also kinda kicks off the busy season for those of us in youth ministry...football, choir, track, drama, you know all the stuff we get to be a part of as a youth pastor. It also means that there are opportunities to call home and talk to my wife without having to fight through a conversation with kids hanging all around. Hmmm, who knows there might even be a lunch date here and there once in awhile. My kids are growing up. It's fun to watch that. They are turning out to be wonderful young people. We'll be able to write this type of blog for a long time. By the time Joseph starts school I'll be talking about sending my red head to college. Wow, now I know I'm getting old. Maybe I should start a college fund. Anyone wanna donate? ~Brian~

7 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

"Going back to school" isn't so fun when you're the teacher!!! :-)

Jess has grown into such a beautiful little lady!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

Why do I have to look at this bear every time I come to your blog?????

;-)

Pastor Brian said...

Go BEARS! ~BH

Bekah said...

Hmmmm the college fund. What a great idea! I can tell you all about that! :)

Sarah said...

back to school is fun when you're a teacher... I had a great first day! i still had butterflies for the first five minutes, though! i always get that way right before the first bell rings and the students start stampeding the hallways! hope the Holland kids didn't get trampled on thier way to class!

Terhune Family said...

This is the first visit I have made tro your new blog, although I do get to see your faces every time I get on Brad's computer :) It is a lot better than Jason Bourne, however. Come visit our blog sometime! Rachel's first day is Thursday...

auctionwife said...

Maybe we can help each other through the Junior High trauma!! Alhough Austin did allow us to take him to school the first day, he wouldn't let me take his picture walking into the school!! I wonder why?? ;)Guess my baby isn't such a baby after all... High school I can't even imagine!