Thursday, August 2, 2007

Marengo Cave

Yesterday we took a trip down to Southern Indiana to Marengo Cave. I grew up driving past the billboards as we went down to visit family I have living in the area. I've always wondered what kind of "cave" could be in Southern Indiana. This week we finally decided to take a family trip and discover for ourselves!

We were all amazed at the beauty that lies underneath our feet! I can't even
describe the majesty of this underground "cavity". I was expecting a dark hole with bats hanging from the ceiling and maybe even a bear (at least that's the picture we painted for Anna)! If any of you have ever been to the Grand Canyon you will understand my loss for words in trying to describe something so beautiful.

I have to admit that I was "somewhat" nervous when entering the cave. I am VERY
claustrophobic! I can't even handle having blankets on my face and don't even think of me getting in any type of a crawl space!! Once I was in the cave all my fears were put to rest. I tried not to think of the tons of dirt above us! There were some "tight" spots we had to wind our way thru but the majority of the time we were in wide open spaces!! Some spots were so large that in the early 1900's they held square dances underground with 300 in attendance!!

Enough babbling...it was a WONDERFUL trip. We would recommend it to anyone! What a great way to spend a HOT day...90 plus degrees outside and it was an even 52 degrees in the cave!! Check out www.marengocave.com for more info! Jaye :)

The Family (minus Joseph-the cave wasn't stroller friendly)

Stalactites & Stalagmites (yep, we know the difference)

Rimstone Dam and Stalagmites

Brian and Anna gemstone mining

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I did not know you too were claustrophobic. I have often wondered if I could "deal" with a cave, should I ever decide to go - - - you have given me HOPE!!!

:-)

Keetha Broyles said...

PS - - you are a WONDERFUL blogger!!! What took you so long to "jump in"?!?

The Hollands said...

It was a great "one tank trip"! It was one of those things where I had to be "brave for the kids"...kinda like t-storms!! :) ha! We were waiting for high speed internet before we set up a blog...we got impatient and started one anyway...just takes FOREVER on dial-up!!

Keetha Broyles said...

I hear ya!!!

I have DSL, but I don't know how to resize the picture files, so it takes my photos forever to load too.

Have you got the whole trick down about loading the last picture in a series first? That took me a while to figure out. You have to create a post backwards.

Also, there is a little "options" button at the bottom of the post box and in there you can change the time and date which will allow you to put a post between two others if you need to.

HAVE FUN!!!