Friday, August 17, 2007

My Friday Night Adventure

As the world celebrated the premiere of High School Musical 2, Anna excitedly went of to a HSM2 party. Jaye and Jessica microwaved some popcorn and settled in for the big show. Wes was off to a friend’s house. I don’t think he was watching the movie, I think it was video game night. That left me, well, looking for something to do. I went off to McDonald's not for a burger but for a movie. This being the first time I have used the McDonald DVD rental machine I took my time reading the touch screens, I didn't want to end up spending a thousand dollars to rent a movie. Let me share my adventure. The first screen showed two boxes...one said Rent a DVD the other Return a DVD. I found a picture online you can see for yourself, this one has three, I don’t think the one at the store did.

I touched my way thru the menus, found a movie to watch and ended up at the “swipe your card now" screen. I followed the example picture on the machine to swipe. Turns out the picture was opposite of what I was doing. The swipper strip needed to be on the other side. But that’s not my story. As I was at one point at the “swipe your card screen", not getting the swipe to work, a guy walks up. I’m not going to tell you his age, you can guess at the end of the story. There is a little black box on the side of the machine, a “Return your DVD here” box. As I’m working on my order, he keeps trying to ram his DVD into the machine. Grumble, grumble, grumble he starts getting frustrated. Being a servanthood kind of guy, I abandon my order to return to the first screen that says Rent a DVD, box one, RETURN a DVD, box two. I said “I think you need to tell it you are returning a DVD”. I’m working my way back to the first screen for the fella, you know, to let him touch the right box to tell the machine he is ready to return the movie. He leans in, says to the machine, out loud, not missing a beat, “I’m returning a DVD.” I about die! Trying not to laugh out loud, I push the “Return a DVD” on the touch screen for him. The red machine sucks in his DVD and he walks away happy. Oh my, I’m dying inside! He had no idea about the boxes on the touch screen. I would LOVE to see him take the next movie back….standing at the RED McDonald's DVD Machine saying “I’m returning a DVD.... I AM RETURNING A DVD!. What's going on, this worked last time, grumble, grumble, grumble.” I love technology. It was all worth not having to watch High School Musical 2. ~Brian~

9 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Fun story - - - and I LEARNED two new things, first of all that such a thing as a rend a DVD machine existed at McDonalds - - - didn't know that, and secondly that HSM2 is a movie - - - didn't know that either!!! Silly me, I thought you and Jaye were talking about your own HSM in that earlier post. (I watched old classic football games and parts of preseason football last night, right here in my own comfortable oversized chair while Greg went fishing)

Next you'll hear ME yelling commands at machines - - - - - I'm getting there!!!

Keetha Broyles said...

Greg and I think this would have made a GREAT episode on the old "Candid Camera"

Bekah said...

What a GREAT story! I would have laughed out loud in person - so it's a good thing the guy had you there to help and not me. Still laughing....

Tina said...

I don't think I could have held in a giggle. It was definitely a Bill Engvall moment, here's your sign.

Keetha Broyles said...

I told this story to the teachers this morning as we waited for devotions to begin - - - it brought down the house!!! :-)

Kyle Broyles said...

Gloat away about your Bears - - - - -

Just remember, it is only preseason - - -

Keetha Broyles said...

Oooops - - - that was me, I accidentally was under Kyle's identity!!!

Tina said...

I told this story to my co-workers and we were all laughing for awhile. The funniest part is imagining the guy returning another movie and yelling at the machine again.

SkyePuppy said...

Bekah sent me, and I'm glad she did. What a hoot!

My guess is that this guy isn't the one who rented the movie. Probably his wife did that deed. Or his kids. Or his grandkids. And they sent poor, unsuspecting Grandpa off to McDonalds to return it. After all, how hard could it be..? Too funny!