Saturday, January 26, 2008

Renewal Weekend

The Gang

This weekend Jaye and I have spent the last few days in Ft Wayne. It was the third annual youth pastor & spouse renewal weekend. It is an event our district sponsors that actually focuses on youth pastors. It's a great weekend to get away for a few days, hang out with my lovely wife and see some of my district buddies with their lovely wives. It's a great time.
This year they brought in a guest speaker named Robert Rogers. Oh my, he was amazing. He shared his story, there wasn't a person in the room that didn't shed a tear. He lost his entire family in a flash flood while they were traveling home from a wedding. I'm going to do my best to see about getting him to come to Chapel Pike and share his story. You can read his book "Into the Deep" but do so only with a box of Kleenex. Basically he taught us to live our lives without regret. God first, family second, anything else far behind those two. I don't think I've ever met a guy that really showed grace like he did, a man that REALLY loves God and lives it. It was a life changing message.
It was really hard to hear and not be able to go home and hug our kids.

Our Room @ Residence Inn...each room had a fire place. Nice.

On our romantic walk of questions @ Fort Wayne Botanical Gardens



6 comments:

Bekah said...

I remember that guy's story - I've heard it on the radio. I haven't read his book yet, but I want to. I remember when all that happened, because it wasn't far from where my sister lives. Kansas is a dangerous place to live: the BTK guy, flash floods, tornados!

Stevan said...

I miss those weekends! I miss those district pastors!

Thanks for posting the pics, guys!

-Stevan

Chris said...

Bekah and Brian -

I also remember that story. The guy was on Focus on the Family a couple of years back.

He's also a great musician and has wrote songs. On the radio broadcast, they played a snippet of him and his family singing around the piano.

Brian - yes...it tears at the very deepness of your soul. Thanks for sharing this and reminding us how important our family is and ALWAYS will be.

Anna said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I had a blast with the kids, I hope they did too. :)

Terhune Family said...

What were you doing in OUR room? Please e-mail me the group shot - we look pretty good, don't we?
I made the mistake of reading part of Robert's book while we were still at the hotel - the chapter entitled "Five White Caskets." It was so awful, but powerful.

The Hollands said...

Keri-Those rooms were great! Brian emailed Brad the picture already...he also said you could just click and take it from our blog. I really wanted to start reading the book at the hotel (while I had free time) but I knew that wouldn't be a good idea. I put it down and thought I'd wait till I got home...then when I got sad I could go cuddle with my kiddos!! :)