Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Blast from the Past!
























THIS is the way to make ham salad. Mom got me this little
beauty years ago. It's just like the one she used when I was
growing up.


























Of course, this job was fun for everyone! The best
is the sound the onion makes when you squish it
through...then of course clean it all out with a
piece of bread...just like Mom use to do!


























Even Meredith got into the cranking!


























Enjoying the yummy results!


























I think they enjoyed making it more than eating it!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

mmmmm....home made ham salad sounds really good! and I bet it is amazing because you are a good cook. :) looks like joseph and meredith had fun making it, they are both getting so big! :)

Keetha Broyles said...

So, is it really ham or is it bologna???? People around here call bologna salad ham salad so I'm a tad cornfused.

I have one of those old grinders somewhere - - - it was my grandparents'.

Can you eat up that much ham salad before it goes bad? Or do you freeze some of that ground up meat BEFORE adding the mayo????

The Hollands said...

Amanda~Thanks! You're so sweet! When you coming this way again?? A visit from you would be nice! :)

Keetha~This is really "ham" salad. When I was growing up we always called it ham salad when it was made with bologna too! Hoosier thing maybe?!?! And you forget we are a family of 6...no need to freeze it, that ham salad is almost gone already! :)

Bette said...

Ewwwww....no matter HOW you make it.... it still looks like
REGURGITATED ham to me - and I hate mayo too - blaaaacccchhh

But hey! YOU guys enjoy!

Anonymous said...

My mom had one of those too! I love ham salad made with real ham. None of that baloney stuff for me!!!

I have not so secretly coveted my mom's meat grinder for years. She does know of a place in Kokomo where an old one can be found.

I have never heard of putting onion in it though. We used ham, hard boiled egg, pickle relish, and mayo. I do think it is best made just like anyone's mom used to make it!

Connie

Bekah said...

I haven't made ham salad for YEARS!!! Grinding up the meat and cheese was my job when I lived at home. We used bologna too - and I LOVED it.