Monday, March 31, 2008

Too Good Not to Share...

Laugh if you want, but you should really try this stuff. A few friends at church got me started on making my own laundry detergent. I'm a tried and true "Tide" girl and to say I was a bit skeptical is an understatement. But, raising 4 kids on one income we're always looking for ways to stretch that almighty dollar!! Since it only costs a few bucks to make I thought I'd give it a shot. I have to say, I was very impressed. Works just a good as my Tide and only pennies a load. I usually do 15-20 loads per week and those pennies do add up!!

Here's the recipe: 1 Bar of Fels Naptha Soap (Personally, I'd never heard of this stuff. My mother-n-law got a kick outta this because she remembers HER MOM doing laundry with it. If it's still around after this long, it must be good stuff). 1 cup of Borax and 5 gallons of water (warm enough to dissolve soaps). Grate the Fels Naptha and dissolve in warm water with the cup of Borax. Fill gallon jugs, either milk or water containers or empty detergent contatiners. I used 6 gallon jugs to fill just cause it was bubbly and would take forever to squeeze into 5.

Okay, so that's it. It's as easy as it sounds and works great. If you "Google" making your own laundry detergent there are tons of recipes. This is the simplest and works just fine! Now if only I could make my own Downey!!! :)

3 comments:

Anna said...

You had seriously never heard of that soap. People, mainly Amish, buy it all the time back home. It has a very distinct scent I think. Did you Google fabric softner?

The Hollands said...

hmmm the Amish...need I say more??? Yes, it does have a distinct scent..but not bad when all mixed up!! Yep, I did check for fabric softner...nothing impressed me. ~Jaye

Keetha Broyles said...

I've had my mouth washed out with Fels Naptha!!!! Many times I might add.