Monday, January 12, 2009

A Whole New World!

Last night after church Brian took the kids "skitching" in the church parking lot. Skitching (or hitching if you're from this area) is when you grab hold of the bumper of a car, crouch down and the driver pulls you along on the icy, snowy road (or parking lot). The kids had a blast doing this and aside from cold hands there were no injuries. I think Brian made some great memories with the kids last night.

Jess commented on how fun it would be to do this on the road. This sparked an interesting conversation on the way home. When Brian lived in Merrillville he use to do this all the time. Wait behind some trash cans at a stop sign, then when a car came by they would grab on and get a free ride...unbeknownst to the driver. I remember way back in '78 during the "real" blizzard my dad would hook the sled to the back of his big tractor and took my brother "sledding" on the roads (I was WAY too young for this tom-foolery).

Also, when we were kids we would walk or ride bikes anywhere in town w/o any fear. To our friends house, to the store, to the pool...where ever we wanted (and had permission) to go! My kids go for bike rides today and I make them take a cell phone and they are called several times for me to check up on them! I wish we could feel "comfortable" as our parents were back in the day. Brian talks of times when he would leave house in the morning, play around town all day and return at dusk. Are we too over-protective? I don't think so...after all we DID take our kids skitching!!

7 comments:

James Bauers said...

Wow, what a walk back into my past! When I was growing up in Gloucester City NJ back in the the late 60's, we would hook on the back of cars like that all the time when there was snow!! Some guys would do it with roller skates, not me!! I don't remember anyone getting hurt, at least not badly. Thanks for the thoughts!

dave huffman said...

of course Jaye, you can still roam the streets of Gas City safely, compared to that big town you live in.

GAS CITY IS PARADISE ON EARTH

dave huffman said...

of course Jaye, you can still roam the streets of Gas City safely, compared to that big town you live in.

GAS CITY IS PARADISE ON EARTH

dave huffman said...

oops, stupid modern technology

Chris said...

This reminded me of when my mom used to drive us to go TP'ing. Yes, she did! I'd throw parties for this every summer. Her only thing was if we get caught:

1. You better be in the car when it takes off!

2. If you really get caught, you are expected to clean it up.

The Hollands said...

Chris, we always shared your rule #2 as well. It really teaches you to "not get caught." and if mine was the house that got TPed we'd return the favor 10x fold :) ~ Brian

The Hollands said...

Chris, we always shared your rule #2 as well. It really teaches you to "not get caught." and if mine was the house that got TPed we'd return the favor 10x fold :) ~ Brian