Friday, April 18, 2008

Mowing Report--Day ONE

Today was the day, the first mow of the season. My goal: to get the lawn manicured before the cold front moved in and the rain started. I heard on the radio that gas prices were going up. Someone called in and said gas was $4.17 in Muncie. I fell for it and went out to fill up my mower gas cans. 41 bucks :( So back to the yard with a lot less money in my pocket.

A couple of years ago I was fortunate to get a brand new Simplicity Lawn Tractor. It is a mowing machine. Before it, I had a worn out John Deere. It was an abused church mower that wasn't properly maintained. I pretty much had to buy new parts every year just to keep it running. I had the deck welded up several times and something was always falling off each time I mowed with it...it was junk. So since getting the new Simplicity I have truly enjoyed going out for the first mow and having a machine that starts right up. It is a sweet feeling. Today was no different. You may ask why so pumped up about mowing? Well, it's because I'm a guy. I love going out with the grass high and when I'm done it's trim. I love the alone time of me and the noise of the engine, the smell of the cut grass and the opportunity to think without distraction.

Back and forth or as my grandpa on mom's side used to say, "forth and back. You can't come back unless you have first gone forth." I guess that makes sense, so that is what I did. My report: it's cut, smelling good, looking good and I'm looking forward to the next time.

7 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Greg WAS planning to mow today because of course it was MUCH MORE IMPORTANT that he FISH yesterday.

Bekah said...

I'm avoiding the first mow like you would not believe. Because where there is a first mow...a second must follow...and then suddenly my entire life revolves around weather reports and trimming and raking and...I'm such a GIRL! I'd much rather scrap. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to hold out much longer though. Wonder if I can strike up a deal with the bunny in the backyard. If he could just get REALLY hungry....

Bekah said...

Oh and another thing. Truly NEVER thought about the logic of "back and forth." Your grandpa has an excellent point.

Tina said...

You are such a guy Brian. I hate yard work and am excited, appreciative, thankful, grateful, happy, looking forward to not having to do it yet again. Nathan L is so nice to mow my lawn for me and has done so these past two or three years. He and Dwight plan on mowing my lawn this Saturday. I will be helpful and rake it first, there's a lot of stuff in it from windy days.

Amanda said...

just wanted to let you know, if you are interested, i have a blog now =]

Anonymous said...

I too love mowing, for the fact that while I'm doing it no one bothers me. Growing up it was my job to mow the yard, and if either of my sisters tried to interrupt, I would pass them the mower. They stopped, and I would get a nice peaceful couple of hours of alone time.

Keetha Broyles said...

Is mowing day two almost upon you?? Or has it come and gone, but you neglected to tell us?