Tuesday, April 29, 2008

3M Painters Tape- two thumbs down

The last few days my wife and I have used some of our free time to work on our little ones room. Now this is a big deal. We haven't been able to do this type of stuff since we've moved in. So she has been a little girl in a stark white, hospital looking room. The nasty wallpaper was stripped, the cracks filled, sanded, smoothed and then the walls primed. Then in with the 3M painters tape. We are doing a two color deal in the room and needed a sharp edge on the corners. So we taped them with the "painters" tape. You know the put it on, peel it off without bleeding, the best painting product to ever be invented. Well as you see we waited the prescribed amount of time, gently peeled the tape off along with the paint. Grrrr, I could have just taken the time and "cut" it in without the tape and been better off. Live and learn.


8 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Greg ALWAYS does it by hand. We've never had it peel off like that, but the paint tends to bleed under the tape and not make a straight edge anyway.

Bekah said...

how FRUSTRATING! I remember when John and Cheryl helped me paint my office, we had this happen with the trim. The wall color was fine, but it took off my trim color in great strips. Fortunately I had more of that and could redo it.

I saw some trick on one of the HGTV shows the other night that showed the painter painting the color of the wall under the tape first so if anything bled under the tape, it would match what was already there. THEN she painted over top of it with the new color. I hadn't seen that before.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Keetha Broyles said...

Don't click on that site above - - - it is a spammer and may very well give you a virus - - - -

I'm just sayin'

-Bossy Old Mama Keetha

The Hollands said...

Thanks Keetha...the comment is no longer with us!! :)

Bette said...

Doncha HATE that?!?! I like the colors though! Hard to get in those corners. We did our bedroom - I let the man who used to be a PROFESSIONAL housepainter do that!! I just did the "Gravy" work he called it - the roller :)

Sis

Anonymous said...

I have experienced the same issue in the past.

I do believe it is a bit easier to fix than when my son punched a hole in the wall through the newly wallpapered wall. (And they thought hanging a picture over it just might fool their mother! Wrong!!!)

The colors do look great! Can I guess who's room this might be???

Connie Leonard

Anonymous said...

Hey guys - you need to try the OTHER Scotch Blue Painter's tape - the one with orange core. It's less sticky and you can use it on fresh paint (that's only 24 hours old). Call 3M at 1-800-494-3552 and they'll give you the other tape and may help with repairs.