Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Another Job

Brian's thoughts for the day:

One of Dave Ramsey's principals in the Financial Peace University is to attack debt. The idea is to modify your spending habits and concentrate your focus on paying down debt. He suggests getting in attack mode, have yard sales, sell your stuff or pick up another job or two to pay off as much as possible. So I've been thinking about that approach for "attacking" our debt. There is a new Myers store opening up here in town. I thought, "Hey, maybe I could nab a third shift job stocking shelves." I have been thinking about getting my resume together and what that would look like. I worked at Marsh supermarket a million years ago. I started off as a carry out, worked my way into the produce department and from there into the dairy department. I ended my career at Marsh as being the only male cashier at that time. It was a fun place to work. I bring all that up to say this. We don't have carry outs any longer at the grocery stores. It's just one more step away from customer service. We have "baggers" (you know guys that stick too many groceries in those plastic sacks). There is no longer a need for the skill of bagging a nice square paper bag. So not to overload it causing the sides to rip out. Start with the heavy stuff on bottom and end with bread/eggs on top...skilled bagging. I think in this age of economic depression someone could make a killin' with a business that offered top of the line customer service.
Here is a thought; what if in the church we thought of others before we thought of ourselves? Would we be more attractive if we offered a little Christian customer service? What would that look like? I've got some ideas...do you?



Family Update:

Grannys off in New York planning her wedding. I think she went up and got her marriage license. It has been a good practice session for the kids for when she moves away. It's kinda quite around house and they have adjusted well???

Jess got her drivers permit and we've been out driving. Hard to believe that time of life has snuck up on us.

We just finish revamping Wesley's room. It looks really cool. I'm sure you'll be seeing a post on that process soon. Here's a head up, we painted one wall camo. It looks amazing.

Anna is amazing and beautiful as ever. She is doing great in school.

Joesph has found Wesley's old pile of Pokemon videos and has been glued to them. It has been a fun trip down memory lane for me. I've brushed up again on my Pokemon lingo. It even makes me want to bust out the old Pokemon yellow and play some Gameboy.



Church update:

In board meeting we talked about adding a second service that would start this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Maybe I'll get more opportunities to preach? If you haven't heard we have a newer church van, Jaye has been blessed not having to drive around "big brown" on Wednesday nights. We have a big paintball trip planned for Presidents Day. I'm sure you'll hear more about that too soon.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

i agree with the top of the line customer service. people at my job seem happier, sometimes because you can't please everyone, when you are happy with them and meet their needs. Christian customer service would be very interesting to see how the lost or other Christians for that matter react. I think it would look like honest, genuinely sincere people talking to others about the product and then maybe leading into the Gospel. What do you think?

Amanda said...

the camo wall in wes' room sounds awesome! :D